Best Workout Clothes for Women – Cute and Comfortable
When I started getting more serious about working out and getting into shape one of the first things that I thought of was, what are the best workout clothes to wear? What I discovered is that wearing the right clothing can make your workouts so much more enjoyable.
The best workout clothes for women are designed to make working out as comfortable as possible and investing in comfortable, stylish and cute workout clothing really can be the perfect motivation to keep you going.
There are several factors that can affect how comfortable your workout clothes are, including the types of fabric they are made of along with the type of exercise you will be doing.
Types of Fabrics for a Comfortable Workout
When it comes to the best workout clothes for women, the types of fabrics are very important and some choices are better than others.
- Wicking Fabrics are made of high-tech polyester which draws moisture from the body and, unlike cotton, absorbs very little water. Wicking fabrics have also been referred to as being breathable, that is, they let air in and sweat out. There are many breathable synthetic fabrics that “wick” the sweat away from your skin, which can help it to evaporate quickly and keep your body cool.
- Polyester Synthetic Fabric is extremely durable, lightweight, breathable, non-absorbent and wrinkle resistant. It is also a repellent of UV rays and acts as an insulator even when wet. However, it does not dry as quickly as Nylon or Polypropylene fabrics.
- Nylon Fabric is soft, quick drying, mildew resistant and has a wicking ability. It can stand up to the most sweat enduring workouts, it is comfortable and has a stretch ability which allows your body to move easily during a workout.
- Polypropylene Fabric is completely water-resistant. It makes the perfect base layer because it forces the moisture out through the surface and eventually evaporates. So in a nut shell, if you’re dripping wet with sweat after a hard workout the outside of your shirt will be wet but what is touching your skin is totally dry.
- Bamboo Fabrics are considered a triple threat. It is natural, light, breathable and has the capability to keep your skin protected from ultraviolet sun rays. Bamboo workout clothing is known to feel amazingly soft, keep odors at bay and help to regulate the body temperature.
- Wool Fabrics are starting to become more popular in the fitness clothing industry. Wool has a natural wicking ability, odor resistant, durable, natural and renewable which make it eco-friendly.
- Spandex is a stretchy, form fitting fabric which offers freedom of movement and can be very comfortable. It is commonly used in sports bras, biker shorts and leggings. Spandex, however, is not as breathable as other fabrics.
- Cotton Fabrics are not necessarily the best choice for high sweat workouts because it does tend to absorb moisture, however, cotton fabrics can be good for low-sweat activities such as Pilates, Yoga and light to medium weight training.
The Best Clothes for Your Workout or Activity
When you are purchasing new workout clothes it is best to consider the type of exercise or activity you will be doing most and make sure that those clothes are appropriate for that activity. Athletic clothing is designed to take into account the types of movements that will be done and the type of fabric that will keep you comfortable.
- Spinning or Cycling: Choose lightweight and breathable clothes. Wear tight, mid-thigh bottoms so you don’t get inner thigh chaffing and wear somewhat loose tops. Avoid any baggy or loose pants so they don’t get caught in the bike.
- Yoga or Pilates: Clothing that is stretchy allowing you to bend and move easier and fitted fabrics that wick away sweat are good choices. Avoid flowing tops that will not keep you covered when doing the downward dog.
- Running or Aerobics: Using moisture-wicking clothing for any high-impact exercise where you will be sweating a lot is the best choice to keeping you dry.
Workout Clothes and the Weather: What to Wear?
Here are some suggestions on what to wear in the different temperatures and elements.
HOT WEATHER: During warm summer months, choose fabrics that allow your skin to breathe and wick away the sweat to keep your skin dry. Wear clothes that are cool and comfortable, and allow you to move easily
COLD WEATHER: When it’s cold outside you will want to dress warmly. Layering your workout clothes will allow for the transition for outdoor to indoor workouts. Starting with a dry moisture-wicking layer, such as a wicking tank top or t-shirt and then put on a somewhat warmer layer on top.
WET OR WINDY WEATHER: Nothing can ruin an outdoor activity faster than getting soaked in the rain or caught in a strong wind. Wear an outer layer, such as a waterproof windbreaker that protects your skin from the elements.
Keep in Mind when Buying Your Workout Clothes
An essential and important piece of your workout clothes is getting a good sports bra. Look for a sports bra that is very supportive with a racer-back or T-back design to make sure the straps don’t slip off the shoulders.
Another good thing to consider when buying workout clothes for women is to purchase the outfits in black or gray. This will ensure that you can wear these outfits for a long period of time as most items in these colors are timeless and never really go out of style.
Also, keep durability in mind. You are not only putting your workout clothes through the ringer at the gym, but you are also going to be putting them through the laundry quite a few times as well.
Hints to Staying Comfortable During Your Workout
It is important to wear workout clothes that are made out of materials that help you move your body without restrictions while exercising, this will keep you comfortable during your workout.
Athletic clothing sizes can be deceiving as workout clothes are sometimes smaller and more form fitting so the sizing is not the same as buying regular clothes.
Avoid wearing rough fabrics that could chafe or irritate your skin during repetitive movement and fabrics that don’t breathe such as clothing made out of rubber-based or plastic-based materials. These fabrics will keep sweat from evaporating which will keep your body temperature too high during a workout.
Finding the Best Workout Clothes for You. Make it Fun!
There are many types of workout clothes that are fun and cute but when it comes to figuring out what workout clothing is best for you and your needs, listen to your body. After all, it is your primary tool during your workouts, so if you are uncomfortable in any way, everything else is moot.
Finally, of course, price comes into consideration. Given that most workout clothing can double as everyday leisure attire, you can think of these pieces as serving two purposes for the price of one. That said, there are some options that are more costly than others, so your budget may be a determining factor when buying the best workout clothes for you.